We tried to get insurance to cover Procrit injections but, they don't see this as medically necessary. Without it, Robby is almost guaranteed a blood transfusion. Procrit's job is to boost red blood cell production. Doing so, a blood transfusion will be avoided hopefully. The biggest danger with this operation is blood loss. I just don't understand insurance. They won't pay for procrit but, they'll pay for a blood transfusion? With a blood transfusion there are added risks, complications and a possible longer hospital stay. I don't get it.
Dr. Fearon conducted a study on the benefits of using procrit preoperatively for infants/children undergoing craniosynostosis repair.
On the bright side, our cost was a mere $331.58 for one vial. The vial comes in a 4 pack which most pharmacies will not break. Had we been required to purchase the entire box, we'd be paying $1326.32!
9/20/2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
WTH? I can't believe they wouldn't pay for such an important med.
Post a Comment